Its been a long time coming. Version 2 of this card has many changes that I’ve wanted to make since writing these cards. It’s taken a good couple of months of hard (and frankly a bit boring :0) work, which had pulled me away from blogging about more interesting things and playing with some of the newly released products.
The best bit is you probably won’t notice much of a difference. A lot of the work is under the covers, to make the most out of the paper real estate.
However, for those curious types who are wondering if anything has actually changed since the last release, here’s a quick changelog that I just pulled together (although there are probably other unlisted tasty tibits hiding in there):
- I’ve resized the content boxes. Hopefully this should make for better results when printing on A4 as the margins are slightly more generous (I don’t have access to any A4 paper these days, living in this anti-conformist land , so I can’t test this myself. Please let me know if you think its better or worse).
- The line spacing has been reduced slightly to allow for more content to be squeezed in. I haven’t reduced the font size, just the whitespace.
- Previously, the card used a mixture of different fonts. I could never guarantee that these would render properly on everyones PDF viewer, and I couldn’t embed them without potentially breaking font licenses. Now version 2 exclusively uses the Liberation Font set, which is a great free font created under a GPL type license by Red Hat.
- I’ve managed to reduce the PDF’s file size by around 40%, by optimizing the fonts and graphics.
- Since the last version, vSphere 4 Update 1 has been released, so I’ve updated the card to reflect the new limits.
- Extra content covering: PVLANs, dvUplinks & Network VMotion definitions, vDS VLAN options expanded, TPGS, ALUA, Current host load standard deviation, Partitioning advice change, Security levels, Pre-update detection tool, Changed block tracking files, Disk formats, vCenter server settings.
- More web and KB links.
- Firewall updates.
- Corrections, many of which came from the great vReference readers. Thanks everyone!
This is the 3rd iteration of the my site which started over 2 years ago as vmreference.com on google pages, before I moving to my own hosted site and then finally migrating to the current vReference site. Unfortunately I’ve lost many of the statistics, but since my last move only 5 months ago I’ve had around 120,000 page views. The vSphere 4 card has been downloaded over 18.000 times since publishing it only a few months ago, and my vSphere 4 notes have had around 9,000 downloads. I first published the original VI3 card over 26 months ago. Sadly no vExpert for my troubles though , but I have got not 1 but 2 links on Eric Siebert’s awesome vLaunchpad honour roll.
- @nickmarshall9 I'll be at SFO this year, bit I'm running low on time to put things together. : 1 day ago
- @gurusimran Would like to but I need to think about what I'd submit as a design. : 1 day ago
- @coolsport00 @timantz @virtualizecr Thanks guys! (Shane, your study notes were great - vBeer coming your way at VMworld 2013) : 1 day ago
- Whoohooo! Just got my VCAP5-DCA score - 441. Very happy as I'm not so hands-on these days. Step 3 complete, onto step 4. : 1 day ago
- @theGuate Yes, that's no longer the case & is an error. When we realized we told the publishers to remove from reprints & add to errata. Thx : 1 day ago
- #KneeKnacker training run this morning http://t.co/EcDcACDohP : 6 days ago
- Off to sit my VCAP5-DCA. Fingers & toes crossed. : 2 weeks ago
- View 5.2 tip: Win 7 Optimization Guide advises setting Win Firewall service to disabled. This breaks Blast service (HTML5 access). : 3 weeks ago
- Check out this handy online IOPS calculator, very nicely done: wmarow.com/strcalc/strcal… : 3 weeks ago
- VMware Certified Professional on vSphere 5 (VCP5) Study Guide | The Virtualization Guy on vSphere 5 vReference card – vCenter section
- VMware Certified Professional on vSphere 5 (VCP5) Study Guide | The Virtualization Guy on vSphere 5 vReference card – VM section
- VMware Certified Professional on vSphere 5 (VCP5) Study Guide | The Virtualization Guy on vSphere 5 vReference card – availability section
- VMware Certified Professional on vSphere 5 (VCP5) Study Guide | The Virtualization Guy on vSphere 5 vReference card – networking section
- VMware Certified Professional on vSphere 5 (VCP5) Study Guide | The Virtualization Guy on vSphere 5 Card
- VMware Certified Professional on vSphere 5 (VCP5) Study Guide | The Virtualization Guy on vSphere 5 vReference card – resources section
- My VCP5 upgrade experience on vSphere 5 Card
- Paul Kelly on VCAP5-DCD: small but important change to the exam format
- Cheat Sheet: vSphere 5 Reference Card on vSphere 5 Card
- Chris. on vSphere 5 Card