Here are my condensed notes for the vSphere 5.0 documentation. They’re excerpts taken directly from VMware’s own official PDFs. The notes aren’t meant to be comprehensive, or for a beginner; just my own personal notes. I made them whilst studying for the VCP5 beta exam, and its part of the process I use to collate information for the vSphere Reference Card.
Essentially, they’re snippets I found interesting while reviewing the official VMware documentation, either because:
- They were new to vSphere 5
- They were new to me
- I thought they might be useful for the next reference card
- I wanted reinforcement in that area
However, I think for anyone who is familiar with vSphere 4 and perhaps a VCP, they should bring you up to speed fairly quickly. The notes cover the following official VMware documents:
Main Documentation Set
- VMware vSphere Basics Guide
- vSphere Installation and Setup Guide
- vSphere Upgrade Guide
- vCenter Server and Host Management Guide
- vSphere Virtual Machine Administration Guide
- vSphere Host Profiles Guide
- vSphere Networking Guide
- vSphere Storage Guide
- vSphere Security Guid
- vSphere Resource Management Guide
- vSphere Availability Guide
- vSphere Monitoring and Performance Guide
- vSphere Troubleshooting
- VMware vSphere Examples and Scenarios Guide
- What’s New in VMware vSphere 5.0
- VMware vSphere 5.0 Release Notes
- What’s New VMware vSphere 5.0 Platform Technical White Paper
- What’s New VMware vSphere 5.0 Networking Technical White Paper
- What’s New VMware vSphere 5.0 Storage Technical White Paper
- What’s New VMware vSphere 5.0 Availability Technical White Paper
- What’s New VMware vSphere 5.0 Performance Technical White Paper
- VMware vSphere 5.0 Licensing, Pricing and Packaging White Paper
I’ve avoided the details available in the Configuration Maximums for vSphere 5.0 document, because it’s likely to be updated far more regularly than the Guides. You’ll want to grab yourself the latest copy, but I will include the most critical figures in the vReference 5.0 card.
I hope these are useful to you as well: vSphere 5 Documentation Notes.
Update: Here are the same notes in EPUB and MOBI as a zip file format for viewing on an ebook reader.
Please don’t share the direct link to the document, but to this page instead. The most up-to-date version will always be linked here.
Be sure to follow me on Twitter (@forbesguthrie) to be the first to hear of any updates.
- Detoks on vSphere 5 Card
- Forbes Guthrie on vSphere 5 Card
- Namma Karma on vSphere 5 Card
- Micro infrastructure server with OpenWRT – part 3 | vReference on Micro infrastructure server with OpenWRT – part 1
- Micro infrastructure server with OpenWRT – part 1 | vReference on Micro infrastructure server with OpenWRT – part 2
- Forbes Guthrie on Large Pages – a problem of perception and measurement
- Eduardo Aguiar on Large Pages – a problem of perception and measurement
- Forbes Guthrie on How to PXE boot from your trunked vmnic0
- Bryan on How to PXE boot from your trunked vmnic0
- AlphenIT on vSphere 5 Card