To design a VMware vSphere implementation for the performance, scalability, and ROI that your business needs, you must understand all the factors that influence the outcome. Written for engineers and architects who plan, deploy, maintain, and optimize vSphere solutions, this unique book helps you make the right design decisions.
Should you use ESX or ESXi? Build your vCenter as a virtual machine? Design your storage for capacity or for performance? Filled with real-world examples, clear explanations of tools and concepts, and coverage of such topics as network topology, security domains, storage infrastructure, and more, this is the perfect guide for deploying a new design or transforming an existing one.
Inside, you’ll explore:
• Fundamentals of designing VMware environments around your business goals
• Details of the overall design process, vSphere hypervisor choice, server hardware selection and scaling, and your virtual machine blueprint
• How networking and storage landscapes impact vSphere design
• Different vCenter datacenter and cluster possibilities–tailoring availability and load-balancing options
• How to create compelling vSphere architecture with security in mind
• Basics of monitoring and capacity planning and the common tools available
• Design decisions that a typical company encounters, questioning the choices made